Land Use Permits

Lot permits (for creating a new lot from an existing parcel) and typical building permits for homes, businesses and outbuildings are administered by the Code Enforcement Officer, Charlie Porter.  

Entrance permits for new or altered driveways and farm/woods roads are administered by the Road Commissioners (currently the Board of Selectmen).  

If you are installing new plumbing and/or a new or replacement septic system, you will need a permit from the Licensed Plumbing Inspector (LPI) Brian Croft. These are the highest fees; the Town's permit fees are set at the State minimum. A licensed site evaluator will have to design your septic system, even if just an outhouse. The design and construction are then approved by the LPI. 

Be prepared to provide a copy of your deed or other proof that you have the right to conduct the proposed activity on your property. 

Note that a building permit cannot be issued until all other relevant permits are in hand.  

You may view, download and print permit applications and the fee schedule below, pick them up at the town office, or obtain one directly from the permitting officer. 

Permits are good for 2 years. Fees double if you start work or create a lot without first obtaining a permit. And according to State law, you may be fined up to $100/day in violation. Please don't go there!

Thanks in advance for cooperating with the Town's regulations. The Planning Board welcomes feedback if you feel any of our regulations are inappropriate or administrative systems cumbersome. 

We recommend that you review the following 2-page Summary and Building Permit Process Guide. Direct questions to the appropriate permitting officer.  


 Subdivisions, Developments & New Roads

For these more complex land use activities, contact the Planning Board Chair Michael Berry for more information.